Saturday, April 13, 2013

3 years

At the rate of three courses per year, I estimate it will take me roughly 3 years before I complete all the pre-requsities necessary to qualify for nursing school. Below are a list f the courses I have to take:
Intro to Psychology
Developmental Psychology
Anatomy & Physiology 1
Anatomy & Physiology 2
Microbiology
Chemistry 1
Organic Chemistry 1 (depends on school)
Sociology 1 (depends on school)

A few schools wanted even more courses prior to admission; needless to say I am no longer interested in applying to this schools. Initially I wanted to do 4 courses per year to speed up the process but that would mean 2 courses during the summer and since the majority of the courses I need are science courses I think that would be a bit of an overkill for me (especially since I am taking the vast majority of my pre-requisites online). I also would like to take a CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant) course at some point so that I could eventually gain entry-level experience in a health care setting, either before I start nursing school or concurrently with school. In addition to the above estimated timeline, I figure depending on which route I take to my second bachelor's in nursing, it could take me an addition 1 to 4 years to get my BSN (Bachelors of Science in Nursing), 1 year being the minimum time in an accelerated BSN program, 2 years in a traditional BSN program, and 4 years in an associates RN program (in which I would eventually go into an RN to BSN program). Regardless of the route I take, keeping my current position does not look like it would be an option for me. Assuming I get into some type of nursing program the first or second time applying, I will become an RN in my late 30's or early 40's which isn't that bad I guess but I definitely wouldn't be a spring chicken either. It's a little discouraging, especially since I am doing all this for a second bachelor's as opposed to a masters degree. Switching careers is certainly not easy, especially when you are somewhat already established in another field and can't go a long period of time without some sort of income coming in. I swear I would hate to go through all this and realize I don't even like nursing. I would be truly be pissed at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment