Sunday, April 7, 2013

Is it nursing school or medical school?

I have always know that nursing school was competitive but from what I have read from allnurses.com, the competition is down right fierce! Most schools I have reviewed request a minimum GPA of 3.0 in addition to high TEAS V or NLN scores but it seems like the minimum GPA for most accepted students is 3.5 and higher (and this includes 2 year programs). My overall GPA of 3.2 was not an issue in getting accepted into a Masters of Social Work program but it may not be enough for an Associates or Bachelors of Nursing program? I guess its because everybody and their 3rd cousin wants to be a nurse now. To make it worst, I am primarily interested in programs from public universities just like the rest of the world. I just can't justify racking up 60-80 K in debt to be a registered nurse, I don't care how bad I want it! School loans I can do but I am not interested in paying off loans for the next 50 years. If I must go private, a huge (and I do mean HUGE) portion of my tuition would have to be paid by some other means like scholarships or something similar. Its times like these I wish I had majored in nursing the first time around, or at least chose a major that I had more interest in so that I would have done better. Oh well. All I can do is just try get A's in my pre-requisites so that I can at least be a contender. If that doesn't work, maybe I could just apply to Harvard Med School just for the hell of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment