Sunday, April 7, 2013

Is this a mistake?

A little over a year ago I decided to take the leap and make the switch to a career in nursing. I have considered a nursing career on and off for years but it never seemed like the right time for a variety of reasons. Now that I am a "pre-nursing" student I am constantly wondering, am I making the right choice? After all I am not a displaced or unemployed worker with "nothing to lose." I have a decent paying job (although it probably isn't enough by New York City standards), with good benefits and this is certainly not the economy to leave your job if you have one. I looked into all possible options for nursing school, from accelerated bachelors of nursing (BSN) to associate degree programs (I already have a bachelors in a non-nursing field) and all options would make it almost impossible to pursue a degree with a full-time, Monday through Friday, 9-5 type of job. I also considered evening programs but nursing courses isn't like your typical 3 credit course where you can take once or twice a week. I would have to work my normal hours then go to school and/or clinical for roughly 5-6 hours in the evening which would be fine if I had no life (or didn't care to have one for a couple of years) but I have 3 children and a husband who I would like to see sometimes. Besides childcare would be another issue and I already pay enough as it is (assuming I could find suitable night time care). Sure nursing pays more than my current job (even at the masters level in some cases) and I would definitely have more job mobility and flexibility but jobs are not readily available as they once were. It's a big risk I am taking and it makes me extremely uncomfortable and anxious. I honestly wish I could just drop this whole nursing thing but my fear is if I do not take this chance now I will regret it for the rest of my life. Besides, I am not getting any younger...

No comments:

Post a Comment