Sunday, December 11, 2016

SUNY Downstate Accelerated Nursing Program!

After nearly 4 months of waiting and torture I finally got my decision from Downstate and I am in! I could not believe it when I saw the email link saying I was offered a place in the 2017 accelerated nursing program. I really wasn't sure which way it would go because I was not sure how competitive my grades and test scores were (remember I got B+ in both anatomy classes and my reading score on the TEAS was a mere 83%). In any event, other factors must have been in my favor, especially since I tried my best to give more than what was asked knowing that my grades were not super competitive. Submitting my application early probably worked in my favor as well. This is a really big accomplishment for me, especially since I was able to get into a program that accepts roughly 10-15% of their applicants. I must say I am very proud of myself because it was not easy for me to get to this point. I have to remember to thank the professors that submitted recommendations for me.

Downstate My Choice School

Since I have now been accepted to Downstate, I will no longer attend Lehman after I complete HIN 269 in about a weeks time. Lehman only accepted me for the generic program which is 2 years; I would much rather complete my BSN in 15 months, especially since I am already "old" and don't want to be out of work so long. Downstate is closer to me anyway, although BK traffic can be a beast at times. I have not ignored the fact that the accelerated program at Downstate has had mixed reviews but it also has a high NCLEX rate, not to mention one of the lowest tuition in the state so I will be working it out. I still haven't worked out the financial and childcare kinks as of yet but I already accepted my place in the 2017 class so I have 6 months to save as much as possible, make some budget cuts, and train my "tween" (who will be a teen) to take on a little more responsibilities. My real concern now is my job. I was hoping to take a leave of absence but since my reason for taking a leave is neither medical nor childcare related, my only option may be to resign which is going to be a lot more difficult than I expected since I will have been in my current profession for nearly 12 years by the time I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment